Whew, I just got back from St. Louis, Costa Rica, and Pittsburgh…and boy are my arms tired. 😉 It’s been a fantastic couple of weeks for the YERT film – (hey, we just won Best Feature Documentary for our international premiere at the Costa Rica International Film Festival!!). Here are some snapshots and a few things I learned while traveling.
St. Louis (11/11-13):
* Always remember your wallet when taking a road trip to St. Louis (or your Aunt Karen will never let you live it down when you get there).
* When in St. Louis’ incredible City Museum, keep track of your 3-year-old…no, really.
* Treating said 3-year-old to a celebratory ice cream cone and root beer at said museum may seem like a good idea at the time…
…it is not.
* The St. Louis International Film Festival is really cool. They’ll even take a picture of you outside their marquee.
Costa Rica (11/14-18):
* Always remember your passport when flying to Cos…don’t worry, I did actually remember my passport. 😉
* 48 hours is not nearly enough time in Montezuma, Costa Rica.
* But, if 48 hours is all you can get in Montezuma, Costa Rica…take it!
* Don’t try to cross the river to hike through the jungle to get to the big waterfall if it rained the night before because the river will look like this and you will die.
Instead, cross the river the next day when it’s calmer…
Of course, when the waterfall you’re trying to get to looks like this…
…I can understand why people might throw caution to the wind.
* Zip lines are harder to pull off as you get older.
* The Costa Rica International Film Festival is also really cool! And they dig fun environmental docs!
After a long day of travel from San Jose, Costa Rica to Farmington, PA by way of MIA and PIT, I finally rendezvoused with Mark at what can only be described as rural Pennsylvania’s answer to the Palace of Versailles for a truly remarkable experience presenting YERT highlights at Pittsburgh’s TEDx conference where we were very well received.
* Pennsylvania doesn’t have Las Vegas, but it does have Nemacolin Resort. And holy honkin’ hotel, Batman! This place is decked out!
* There is a certain inescapable irony about holding a conference focused on “power” in an enormous, sprawling hotel with giant chandeliers in every hotel room. Kind of like an environmental road trip…
* In a pinch, a hotel room bathtub can be used as a washer and an iron as a clothes dryer…for all of your wet, stinky Costa Rica “jungle clothes”…on the morning of your presentation.
* TEDx is really cool. You might even meet someone like, oh, say…C-3PO. Though he’s harder to spot without the full metal body suit.
Finally, as exciting as the traveling’s been, it’s always a joy to come back home to family.
Here’s to an even more fruitful and exciting 2012! Oh, and don’t forget to BUY YOUR YERT DVDs before the holidays – they make great gifts!
-B (& J & M)